The tech industry has no shortage of buzzwords and hot job titles, but one that seems to be taking the industry by storm is Developer Relations Engineer. This relatively new field, also known as DevRel, is all about building and maintaining relationships between a company and its developer community. And according to Tech Twitter, it’s the sexiest job in tech right now.
But what exactly is Developer Relations, and why is it so alluring to so many people in the tech industry? Let’s dive in.
What is Developer Relations?
At its core, Developer Relations is all about creating a strong and engaged community of developers around a company’s products or services. This can involve a wide range of activities, from attending conferences and hackathons to writing blog posts and creating online resources for developers.
The goal of Developer Relations is to foster a sense of loyalty and engagement among developers, which in turn can lead to increased adoption of a company’s products or services. By building relationships with developers, a company can gain valuable feedback and insights into how its products are being used in the real world and can use this feedback to improve and iterate on those products.
Why is Developer Relations so alluring?
As the world becomes more digital, the demand for developers continues to grow, and with it, the need for companies to build strong relationships with their developer communities. This is where DevRels come in and why they are in such high demand.
- DevRels possess a unique set of skills, including deep technical understanding and excellent communication and interpersonal skills, that make them valuable assets to companies.
- DevRels are responsible for presenting at conferences and events, which requires excellent public speaking skills and the ability to explain complex technical concepts in a simple manner.
- Building relationships with developers, understanding their needs and pain points, and advocating for the company’s products and services are also important responsibilities of DevRels.
- According to a recent survey by DevRelx, the most important skills for DevRels are technical expertise, communication skills, and community management skills.
- Technical expertise is essential for understanding the products and services that the company offers.
- Communication skills are critical for building relationships with developers and presenting technical information in a way that is easy to understand.
- Community management skills are important for engaging with the developer community and building a strong and loyal following.
The numbers don’t lie
If you’re still not convinced that the DevRel role is worth considering, let’s take a look at some numbers. According to the DevRel x Developer Relations Report 2021, 80% of Developer Relations professionals believe that their role is becoming more strategic within their organizations. Additionally, the same report found that 75% of organizations plan to invest in Developer Relations in the next 12 months.
The same report also found that the most important metrics for measuring the success of a Developer Relations program are community engagement, developer satisfaction, and product adoption. These metrics highlight the importance of building strong relationships with the developer community and providing them with the support and resources they need.
Is Developer Relations really the new sexiest job?
The rise of Developer Relations or DevRel as a popular job in the tech industry is no coincidence. Repeating again, the work of a DevRel engineer involves attending conferences and hackathons, writing blog posts, and creating online resources for developers. By building relationships with developers, a company can gain valuable feedback and insights into how its products are being used in the real world and can use this feedback to improve and iterate on those products.
The combination of technical expertise, communication skills, and community management has made DevRel an attractive career option for many developers, especially those looking to build a career in the technology industry. It’s not surprising that DevRel has become one of the most sought-after jobs in the tech industry and may very well be considered the new sexiest job of the century.
How to Become a Developer Relations Engineer
If you’re interested in becoming a Developer Relations Engineer, there are a few things you should consider:
- Pursue a degree in computer science or a related field, or gain technical expertise through work experience or self-study.
- Develop excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively communicate with developers and other stakeholders.
- Build a strong online presence through social media, blogs, and other channels to connect with the developer community and establish yourself as a thought leader.
- Attend industry events, meetups, and conferences to network with other developers and learn about the latest trends and technologies.
- Gain experience in customer support, technical writing, or other roles that require working closely with customers or developers.
- Continuously learn and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and tools relevant to your role.
By following these pointers, you can increase your chances of becoming a successful Developer Relations Engineer and build a fulfilling career in this growing field.
The role of Developer Relations Engineer is becoming increasingly important in today’s tech industry. With the growing complexity of software development, companies are recognizing the importance of building strong relationships with their developer communities. DevRels play a critical role in this process, acting as a liaison between the company and the developer community.
If you’re interested in becoming a DevRel, it’s important to have a strong technical background and excellent communication skills. You’ll also need to have a passion for working with people and building relationships. While the role of Developer Relations Engineer is still relatively new, it’s quickly gaining popularity and is being touted as one of the sexiest jobs in the tech industry. So, if you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding career in tech, consider becoming a Developer Relations Engineer.